Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A cake for my dear friend...

It was my friend, Cherlyn's birthday... I was cracking my head to get her something nice as a present... i've bought her bag, earrings, bracelets, skirt, books ... hmm.. i dunno what to buy!

So, i have a 'brilliant' or maybe 'not so brilliant' idea!

Bake a cake for her? Something personal?

So, the week before, I 'practise' by making a biscuit cake. I got the recipe, courtesy of Kenson and I'll share the recipe here.

250g butter
200g castor sugar (gula halus)
7 eggs
28 pieces of non creamer crackers (no flavours)

1. Beat the butter and sugar together until it is creamy and hard. After that, put it aside.

2. Take the 7 eggs and one by one put into a bowl (A) and hit for 10 - 15mins. (No need to separate egg whites and egg yolk)

3. Crush the biscuits into small pieces and put it into the bowl (A). Then, slowly put in the butter&sugar mixture. Beat it for about 5 minutes.

4. Pour the mixture into a pan/clean bowl and steam it for 35 - 40mins.

5. Ta daaaa, a nice biscuit cake. Enjoy it!


So, i make the biscuit cake... and it turns out looking and tasting more like a kuih keras rather than a biscuit cake? Fine, I post mortem and found out that's because I accidentally mix the egg and the flour and beat them together! wrong! should have beat them separately and then only mix them together. duh, try to be creative and that's what i got..

so, the very next day, i buy the ingredients again, and try my luck for the second time. This time, it turns out cool! (that's because i follow instructions this time)
Very nice looking, but a little bit oily (haven't figure out why yet) maybe i should put lesser butter the next time around (trying to be creative again....)

So, my job is done? No, i still feel something amiss and need to bake a nicer cake for my dear friend here. So, I decided to bake a chocolate cake. chipsmore, chocolate syrups.. yummy

So, the following weekend, I went to buy the ingredients (after much searching in Google; looking for 'simple and easy chocolate cake')
I make my first chocolate cake, complete with chipsmore..
Again, I share my recipe here...

A box of Pillsbury Moist Supreme Cake Mix (Devils Food)
1 and 1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of oil
3 eggs

You can buy the Pillsbury Cake Mix at most supermarkets, I bought it from Jusco.

1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease pan with some oil.

2. Mix the cake mix, water, oil and eggs together. Beat at low speed until the mixture is moistened.

3. Then beat at high speed for 2 minutes.

4. Then beat slowly with hand (using the spatula) for 2 minutes.

5. Pour the mixture into a pan.

6. Bake around 35-40 minutes. If you want cupcakes, then bake around 20-30 minutes.
You can try to put in a toothpick and if it comes out clean, then its done!



I manage to come out with a decent cake here, and I have to say it's pretty simple for a beginner... Personally, I do love it, and i scatter some chipsmores on top of it...

And my output?? ta daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.




the cake












the muffin (:p)













I made some simple wordings and presented the muffins to Cherlyn, wishing her a Happy Birthday and I hope she likes it! Personally, I was happy that the cake is 'edible' (and not hard anymore)

For next year, of course I hope to do better and maybe I can prepare her a meal complete with cakes & desserts? Meg, ganbatte.......................


See ya guys, and do try the recipe out when you have time! Ciao~

2 comments:

ngyahloon said...

wah, our meglittlemeg can cook wor;)

meglittlemeg said...

amazed le! hehe...

wait shawn come back and challenge him! hehe