Sunday, December 07, 2008

Hepatitis B! I'm not protected!

It all started with a blood test/medical check up at BPLab recently...

My results was out and everything seems good (Thank GOD).. Hmm, even did an upper abdomen ultrasound.. Click on the link if you wanna know more, I just know why I have to do it, after I get scanned. hee, it was my first time being ultra scan. Dr. applied a cooling clear gel over a hand held device (transducer) and go over my upper abdomen.. Dr. said everything's in good condition, just that my kidney length is long.. hee.. No news is good news.

Then, still need to have the report analysis with Dr. Came to the part of Hepatitis B.. I still remembered parents bringing us to have this vaccine sometime in primary/secondary school time, but now, it says that I'm not protected. Aiyo.. means the vaccine hilang somewhere.. So, Dr. Lim suggested that I have a booster dose. And that sounds like 'Ouch..' but I have to..

The jab was not too bad, slightly more painful than some 'people so-called ant bite blood withdrawal' (not so ant bite to me though). That jab may make one feel tired, painful joints.. but luckily I'm ok, it was at the moment of needle poking situation that got me Ouch.....

I guess all mamas to be will be screened whether they have this vaccination. What if the mama have it? I don't know how le, forgotten to ask doctor pulak. But doctor says newborns are now injected with this vaccination as part of the baby's immunization program.

Hepatitis B can spread through blood (just like HIV), and can cause life-long infection (a carrier) and there's no specific treatment for it. It infects the liver, and can cause liver cancer.
Hepatitis A meanwhile, is transmitted through our food.. Dr. says that most often people may get infected, but our body makes antibodies and cured ourselves, in fact, without us realising it. There's a vaccine too for Hepatitis A, but cost more than Hepatitis B jab. (~RM110 for Hepatitis A, RM50 for Hepatitis B)

I'm just done with the first jab for Hepatitis B, 2 more to go in the next 6 months for the complete vaccination.. ;)

4 comments:

KY said...

Hehe, dunno why that I always don't have the courage to go for those check-up. Maybe I should really go for it someday...Scary le. But...the Dr applied gel on your upper abdomen? Need to be topless r?

meglittlemeg said...

hahahaha.... yeayea, topless u know!.. male doctor too! can this be a motivation for you to go check up r? hehehe... actually just angkat baju naik sikit only one..

yea, courage.. but just go lor, better check early, if anything wrong, we can fix while still early r.. hee

KY said...

Wow, male doc...then maybe I offer for bottomless instead of topless la. Hehe..interesting.
Which is good since so many whatever "Lab" nowadays...

meglittlemeg said...

hehe I went BPLab.. then only realise my company also got can let us do medical checkup, but dont think have those additional ultrasound thingy..

BP Lab Cheras one, service quite ok.. Dr also ok